27 January 2006

Our environment, the world in which we live and work, is a mirror of our attitudes and expectations...


Ever notice a change of behaviour depending on the factors in the environment? Went to fill petrol this morning and had some vaccies in the car with me- ‘Good morning Sir, can I get R100 please?’ And last week- I roared into the garage, revving like a clever, ‘Hey Boss, howsit? Can you fill it up? Shup!’ Same car, same petrol, very similar garage and possibly the same guy serving me- yet such different approaches… Btw, think there was similar talk last year some time…

The Hujjaj are back (or as they say in Joburg- Hajji’s)- such amazing stories they tell- well not stories but accounts of their experiences! It must be such an amazing journey that I suppose even if you don’t get a lighting bolt, it will still have a tremendous effect of your life in some way. Three million people, black and white, rich and poor, from every corner of the world, all coming together for one noble purpose, etc, etc- Pray that my plans of undertaking this journey/experience later this year materialise…

Well underway on my mission to get this cycling machine in tip top shape- still need to get it some wheels though! Went for a run the other morning- yeah I know, I don’t normally run unless I’m being chased by guys with guns or animals with sharp teeth! But had to do something to start toning up and running seemed ideal- have you ever seen the sun rise up behind the Joburg city skyline? Never thought the city would have anything beautiful but this was really stunning. Try it some time- run over the bridge joining Mayfair and Fordsburg as the sun rises. Will try and capture it again and blog post it…

Talk about opening your eyes- walked around a ‘shady’ area in Benoni and if you have to really look around you will be surprised by what you actually see: there’s beauty as well as suffering all around us- all it takes is opening your eyes and wanting to see, and then starting to appreciate and trying to change…

The past two weeks I really worked the skin off my elbows- from early morning to late night everyday! One night I was having supper and listening to the radio (yes, I had supper at 10pm with the radio!)- they were interviewing some space dude about the rocket thing they sent to Pluto. It will reach Pluto in about 9 years time! Don’t ask me why! But that was exactly what I was thinking when the presenter asked the dude, ‘Why would anyone spend time and money and then wait 9 years for a rocket to land on Pluto?’ His answer was, “It’s natural human instinct to be inquisitive and explore our surroundings. In history there have always been those who commit their lives to studying and understanding God’s creation. It is a never ending journey of seeking, understanding and then using acquired knowledge for the benefit of mankind…” And I thought to myself, this sounds like the words of true Muslim. But wonder what Muslims of today would say, ‘(**These words have been removed due to their potential to create further disunity in the Ummah!** p.s Read any answer to any question in The Majlis for more informationJ)

Had to do the Jummah in Sandton today and traffic took me down 1-0! Walked in that small cubicle like JK and had 50+ pairs of eyes staring me down while I did the ablution and postponed my rantings for an extra few minutes! But, God willing, it all went well in the end. Hope it did some good… Going to Durban today- may pop in for the Grand Prix or try to hook up a Squbah Exped, but if nothing else then will have 48 hours of sun, sand and surf:p

4 comments:

realist said...

totally off the topic, but curious, was it you who gave your account of Kashmir in Sandton today?

Bilal said...

yes, that was I! Any comments, feedback, etc?

realist said...

Hey, Yeah it was good. Informative and thought-provoking. I just happen to pick up on the subtleties that made me assume that you may be the author of this blog – and besides I don’t know that many people that visit Kashmir especially during its inhospitable winter. A tad nervous but waaaay more confident than I’d ever be in front of a crowd! lol!

Bilal said...

Thanks, would not have been nervous had I been there in time! Hope that it was beneficial for others as well.. If you would like to discuss more, drop me an email..