06 January 2006

yeartwothousandandsix!

Exactly a year ago, 5 January 2005, I sent out my first email and this monster was created! Now it’s also a blog (with pics!) where ‘Signs of Intelligent Life’ share some intelligence. But don’t know how long this will go on, as history has shown us, time and time again, that even the mightiest empires eventually crumble...

It seems like whenever I leave the country, on my return I feel like kissing the ground! I just love this place- there is no place like home:)
Been meaning to complete the write up about my trip, but with jet-lag and now busy at work, will have to try and find time to do it- keep an eye out on the website- will also try to update pics there regularly...

There are at least 7 million people in Lahore- we visited it on our way home and it seemed like there were a whole lot more! The city has beautiful, old architecture but virtually zero visibility due to catastrophic air pollution caused by thousands of rickshaws that literally spew out dirty black smoke!

So you can imagine- the last thing I want to see when I get back, is hoards of Indians! Got back on Sat, New Years Eve, and went to Fordsburg for supper. It seemed as if every person of sub-continent descent, in a 100km radius, had decided to congregate in that one notorious street. But thankfully, word on the street was that there was a major new years celebration happening in Newtown!

So, spent New Years Eve at Newtown square- was so happy to see black people! Hadn’t seen any in such a while- and they really know how to have fun;p Some may find it really odd that we, South African ‘indians’, identify more with South Africans than we do with natives of the ‘Motherland’- or that goes for me at least! Had met 1st and 2nd generation Pakistanis from all over the world, and they all still have a connection with Pakistan. And while that may be a good thing for them, I’m extremely happy that my loyalties lie here- with this beautiful land that has given us so much; this is where my first priorities lie and this is where we need to be giving back...

Chapter 4, verse 36 of the Quran says: And serve God. Ascribe no thing as partner unto Him. Show kindness unto parents, and unto near family members, and orphans, and the needy, and unto the neighbour who is family, and the neighbour who is not family, and the fellow traveller and the wayfarer and those whom your right hands possess. Lo! God loves not such as are proud and boastful...

Shucks- this was meant to be a short ‘hello, happy new years’ email but it seems like I got slightly carried away;p Back at work after what seemed like ages- actually only three weeks, but like the visit to Palestine, felt like three months! Next two months at work are going to be really hectic, but I do need to clock some overtime as I’ve almost completely used up my 2006 leave already! Absolutely no regrets though- such an amazing, eye opening, life changing experience. (*watch this space*)

No comments: